22 December 2022
Can one put perfume or Attar in roza?
- One should not use any perfume during roza.
Can one swim in roza?
- One should not engage in swimming during roza because the water might enter the throat.
If a person is rozdaar and while performing wuzu he accidently swallows some water, is his roza valid?
- If the individual is doing wuzu for farizat ni namaaz then his roza is valid. But if he is doing kulli for tatawwo’ ni namaaz or if he is gargling for any other purpose, his roza is void.
Can one put take a medical injection in roza?
- Taking an injection would invalidate the roza.
Can one draw blood (for a blood test for example) in a roza?
- Drawing blood would invalidate the roza (as the needle enters the vein).
Can one apply oils on the skin during roza?
- Yes, and any cream that does not penetrate through the skin into the bloodstream (being absorbed by the skin is ok).
If a woman is rozdaar and after sunset but before praying maghrib ni namaaz she gets her period, is her roza valid?
- Her roza is valid if she enters the menstrual cycle after sunset, even though she has not yet prayed Maghrib namaz. If she enters the menstrual cycle before sunset then her roza is void.
If in the month of Ramadan, an individual ejaculates during his sleep, is his roza valid?
- If he wakes up and does ghusul without missing any farizat namaaz his roza is valid. If farizat namaaz is missed then the roza is void.
If in the month of Ramadan, a couple are intimate with each other in the night and then sleep overpowers them before performing ghusul, is their roza valid?
- They should do ghusul when when they wake up and their roza is valid.
If an individual has intercourse during the roza in the month of Ramadan is his/her roza valid?
- His /her roza is void and he/she has to give ‘kaffaarat’ for deliberately breaking roza, which is two consecutive months of fasting to make up for each roza deliberately broken.
If an individual is cooking and needs to taste the food then what is the course of action?
- He can put the food on his tongue to taste and then spit/take it out of his mouth without swallowing.
If one vomits during roza, is his roza valid?
- If he vomits unintentionally, he should try not to swallow anything, but roza is valid.
If one eats or drinks something by mistake during a roza (i.e. he forgets that he is doing roza), is his roza valid?
- If it is unintentional then the roza is valid. Bayaan is that ‘Allahu at’amahu’ (Allah Ta’ala chose to feed him).
Can an individual do Shehrullah roza – i.e. Farizat roza – while travelling?
- No, he cannot keep farizat roza if he crosses the qasar namaz limit. The only way he can travel and still keep the roza in Shehrullah is if:
- He leaves after zawaal (zohor time) and before sihori time, and then reaches his destination before sihori time ends and does niyyat to stay in that location for 10 days or more;
- He leaves after zawaal (zohor time) and before sihori time, and reaches his destination where he owns property before zawaal the next day (he has to reach the property itself). Even if he prays only zohor faraz and leaves (he would pray tamaam namaaz) he would complete the roza.
- He leaves after zawaal (zohor time) and before sihori time, and reaches his destination before zawaal the next day and meets a blood relative there (father, mother, husband/wife, son, daughter, maternal or paternal uncle, maternal or paternal aunt, nephew, niece, grandson, grand-daughter). He needs to pray at least 5 farizat namaz in that location before leaving for his namaz not to be qasar and his roza to be valid.
- If it is his routine to travel for work/business, such as commuting daily to a job outside qasar namaz limit, then his roza is valid (al-tajiru yajulu fi tijaratihi).
If an individual travels in Shehrullah and leaves his home before Sihori time and reaches the train station or bus station or airport and waits there, knowing that his train/bus/plane will depart after Sihori time has ended (Fajr time has begun), is his roza valid?
- His roza is valid if the train station/bus station/ airport is outside the qasar limit. If it is within the qasar limit then the roza is not valid.
In the month of Ramadan, if an individual travels to another place and does the niyyat of staying at his destination for 10 days and does roza and prays full namaaz but due to some reason on the 7th day or any day before the 10 days, he has to travel to another place, are his roza valid?
- If the individual has done the niyyat of saying at his destination for ten days and but finds it necessary to travel on the 7th day i.e. before 10 days, his roza and his namaaz is valid.
If one is ill and unable to physically cope with the stress of roza (in a high fever for example) or if doing roza would compromise his health (if one is diabetic and needs to take sugar for example), then what is the course of action?
- Allah Ta’ala has allowed that if one is unable to do roza due to illness he should perform the roza which was missed at a later date once he is healthy. If he missed 4 rozas he should perform 4 rozas at a later date. If by the next Shehrullah he is unable to perform roza (due to a chronic illness for example) then he should give kaffaarat for the rozas he missed (see section on missed rozas and kaffaarat for further details).
If an individual suffers from a disease that has reached the state wherein it is incurable and he has not been able to do rozuof the month of Ramadan and he is certain that he will not be able to do the roza in another month, then what should be the course of action?
- He can give the kaffarat immediately after Shehrullah.
If an individual is fasting and due to some reason he suffers from an injury and there is incessant bleeding from the wound and hence some medication is used to treat the wound, is the rozu void?
- If the wound is deep and the medication enters the body directly or through some medium i.e. through an injection, his rozu is void.
If an individual has missed a roza in Shehrullah due to illness or unavoidable travel, what should he do?
- He should perform a roza for each farizat roza he has missed at any later date (except Zil-Hijja).
If an individual is not able to do roza in Shehrullah, and also not able to do perform a roza in compensation at a later date during course of the year, then what should he do?
- He should give kaffarat for each day of roza missed. So if he has missed 30 rozas the previous year then in the following year he has to start giving kaffarat from the first day of Shehrullah until the last. If he has missed 25 rozas, he should, at the latest, start giving kaffarat on the 5th of Shehrullah and everyday thereafter.
What is the kaffarat for missing Shehrullah Roza?
- If one deliberately does not do roza then he has to do roza for two consecutive months for missing one shehrullah roza. If roza is missed due to illness or unavoidable travel issues, then the kaffarat is the equivalent of ½ kg of wheat to a miskeen [needy person] for each roza missed.
Many women do nazar na roza in Ashara Mubraka. If they have not done the roza of Shehre Ramadan, can they do these nazar na roza?
- It is binding upon them that they should do perform the rozas missed in Shehre Ramadan in these days.
It is a sunnat that if there is a roza on Friday, a mumin should do a roza either on Thursday or on Saturday along with the roza on Friday. Due to some reason an individual has missed the roza of Shehre Ramadan and the day of Eid-e-Ghadire Khumm is a Friday. Can he do a roza of Shehre Ramadan on Thursday/Saturday?
- The bayaan is that one cannot do the roza of Shehre Ramadan in the month of Zil Hijja, hence the roza done on Thursday/Saturday will be counted as ‘tatawwo’ na roza’ (a voluntary roza) and not as compensation for the farizat rozu.
If an individual has missed the roza of Shehre Ramadan, can he do the roza of Eid-e- Ghadire Khumm?
Namaaz and Wuzu
What are the reasons due to which wuzu is considered void?
- Besides defecation and urination, If anything – gas, blood, pus, worms, or any liquid – exudes from the anus or the penis, the wuzu is considered void. The wuzu is not void in the case of vomit, or burping. Also eating, drinking, cutting nails, or cutting hair does not make the wuzu void.
If an individual is convinced that he has done wuzu, but is uncertain whether anything has happened that results in the wuzu being considered void, what should he do?
- If the individual is convinced that he had done wuzu but is uncertain whether anything has happened that results in the wuzu being void, his uncertainty is not a reason due to which his wuzu can be considered void. But if he is sure that his wuzu had become void but is uncertain whether he has done wuzu or not after that, he must do wuzu again.
If a person inadvertently changes the order of the wuzu, what should he do?
- If a person knows the proper order of the wuzu but changes it inadvertently, he must do the wuzu properly again. But if the person does not know the order of the wuzu his wuzu is not considered void.
If an individual forgets to do istinjaa (washing the place where urine or stool has passed), and then does wuzu and prays namaaz, what should he do?
- In such a situation he should pray namaaz again after doing istinjaa and then wuzu. istinjaa is necessary to maintain proper tahaarat.
Who is a masbooq?
- Masbooq is a person who has missed a part of his imamat namaaz. If the individual joins the namaaz after the imam rises from the ruku, then it is considered that he has missed that rak’at. Even if a person joins the imamat namaaz in the tashahhud he is considered to have prayed the namaaz with imamat. In all such cases, after the imam has given the salaam, he should stand up and complete his namaaz by praying the number of rak’ats he has missed.
If an individual joins Isha, Zohor or Asar Imamat Namaz and the Imam leading the namaz is already in the second rak’at, what should he do?
- He should pray the niyyat and then join with takbeeratul ehraam, or if there is no time he should have the niyyat in his mind and just join with takbeeratul ehram. Though the Imam is in the second rak’at, he should consider it his first rak’at, and pray with the Imam. When the Imam sits for small tashahhud, he should sit ‘ghayr mutamakkin’, i.e. with both feet under him and not to the side as in the normal tashahhud position. When the Imam stands for the third rak’at, he should quickly recite “al-hamdo” and one other “utarti” surat of the Quran in his mind. When the Imam rises from the sajda in the third rak’at, he should sit and quickly pray tashahhud and then rise up before the Imam goes into the fourth ruku’. Again when the Imam sits for the long tashahhud he should sit ‘ghayr mutamakkin’, and after the Imam has ended his namaz with the ‘salaam’, he should stand up and pray his last rak’at.
If an individual enters the masjid at the time of zohor asar namaaz and the imam is leading asar namaaz, should he pray zohor by himself i.e not in imamat and then asar, or should he take the niyyat of zohor and join in the asar faraz that is being led by the imam?
- If zohor is adaa, then the individual should take the niyyat of zohor and join in the imamat namaaz even though the faraz being prayed is asar. if zohor is not adaa then he should take the niyyat of asar and continue in the imamat namaaz. He will have to pray the zohor faraz as qazaa (vaali de).
If an individual joins isha, zohor or asar Imamat Namaz and the imam is already in the third Rak’at – what should he do?
- He should join and consider that his first rak’at, and he should pray wajjahtu wajhi, al-hamdo and one surat in his mind. The Imam’s fourth rak’at will be his second, so he should pray al-hamdo and an utarti surat in his mind. When the Imam sits for the long tashahhud, he should pray the short tashahhud and then sit ‘ghayr mutamakkin’. Then when the Imam has completed his namaz with salaam, he should stand up and pray his third and fourth rak’at by himself.
If an individual joins Isha, Zohor or Asar Imamat Namaz and the Imam leading the namaz is already in the second Rak’at – what should he do?
- He should pray the niyyat and then join with takbeeratul ehraam, or if there is no time he should have the niyyat in his mind and just join with Takbeeratul ehram. Though the Imam is in the second Rak’at, he should consider it his first Rak’at, and pray with the Imam. When the Imam sits for small tashahhud, he should sit ‘ghayr mutamakkin’, i.e. with both feet under him and not to the side as in the normal tashahhud position. When the Imam stands for the third rak’at, he should quickly recite “al-hamdo” and one other “utarti” surat of the Quran in his mind. When the Imam rises from the sajda in the third rak’at, he should sit and quickly pray tashahhud and then rise up before the Imam goes into the fourth ruku’. Again when the Imam sits for the long tashahhud he should sit ‘ghayr mutamakkin’, and after the Imam has ended his namaz with the ‘salaam’, he should stand up and pray his last rak’at.
If a traveler meets his relative who is “ghair baaligh” (not yet given misaq), should he pray the entire namaaz or should he pray qasar namaaz?
- It is of no significance that his relative is “baaligh” (given misaq) or “ghair baaligh”. Both are the same. He should pray the entire namaaz.
What is the time of nisful layl?
- The time at night corresponding to zawaal is the time of nisful layl. Nisful-layl may be prayed for about one ‘ghari’ (12th part of night) generally.
What is the prescribed format of the namaaz of Tasbih al Aazam ?
- There are four rak’ats of the namaaz of tasbih al aazam. The niyyat of tasbih al aazam is as follows -- ا صلي صلوة التسبيح الاعظم اربع ركعات لله -- In this namaaz “charhti surat” must be prayed. After the qiraa’at this tasbeeh -- سبحان الله والحمد لله ولا اله الا الله والله اكبر – has to be prayed 15 times before going into the ruku. After the tasbih of ruku, the tasbih mentioned above has to be recited 10 times. Upon rising from the ruku, “sameallaho leman hameda, rabbana lakal hamd” should be said while raising the hands to the ears for the takbeera, then the same tasbih should be recited 10 times while standing, before saying “allaho akabar” and going into the sajda, After the tasbih of sajda the same tasbeeh mentioned above should be recited the tasbih 10 times. Then when sitting in between the two sajdas, after praying -- اللهم اغفرلي--- the tasbih mentioned above should be recited 10 times. Similarly in the second sajda. After the sajda, the same tasbih should again be recited 10 times while sitting “ghair mutamakkin”, that is with feet folded under rather than at the side. Then one should stand up for the second rak’at and repeat the same amal, sitting up from the second sajda in the normal tashahhud posture, pray the long tashahhud and give salaam. Then one must stand up and say Allaho akbar and complete the remaining two rak’ats in the same way.
If an individual who has prayed shafaa vatar juloos at home or alongwith the behori, enters the masjid and the shafaa namaaz is still adaa, what should he do?
- He should know that if he prays tahiyyatul masjid, he will have to pray shafaa again. According to Syedi Sadiqali Saheb’s nasihat he should pray tahiyyatul masjid and pray shafaa vatar juloos again.
If an individual enters the masjid when it is not the time of namaaz i.e. for example before zawaal. Should he pray tahiyyatul masjid?
- But if he has entered just before the namaaz time, he should pray tahiyyatul masjid when it is the time for namaaz. Otherwise it is not the custom to pray tahiyyatul masjid, when it is not a prayer time.
If an individual enters the masjid towards the end of the zohr namaaz time, should he pray tahiyyatul masjid if it is possible that zohor may become qazaa?
- The individual should not pray tahiyyatul masjid. He should pray zohr.
- Gharan namaaz is prayed during solar as well as lunar eclipses. Gharan namaaz can be prayed by imamat, but those who cannot go for imamat can also pray alone.
- There is no azaan or iqamat. Gharan namaaz has 10 rak’ats / ruku's, 4 sajda-s (2 after each set of five rak’ats), 5 qunuts (after every even-numbered rak’at, i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8, 10), mhotto tashahhud followed by salaam.
- Take niyyat as follows: (for solar) Usalli salata kosufish shamse ashara raka’atin wa arba’ sajadatin lillahe azza wajalla adaa an mustaqbelal ka’batil harame allaho akbar (for lunar) usalli salata khosufil qamare ashara raka’atin wa arba’ sajadatin lillahe azza wajalla adaa an mustaqbelal ka’batil harame allaho akbar
- Start namaaz with takbeeratul ehraam, then start qira’at: al-hamd, followed by another surat.The longer the surat prayed the better, depending on the duration of the eclipse. Utarti surat should be prayed. One long surat (for example yaseen) can be prayed in sections, i.e. start yaseen after al-hamd in one rak’at, then in second rak’at do not pray al-hamd or bismillah and just continue the surate yaseen; and this can be done over 5 rak’ats; the yaseen should be finished before the sajdas in the fifth rak’at.
- After qira'at pray takbeera with hands raised to ears and then go into ruku’; ruku’ should also be long (meaning many tasbeehs can be done not just 3). Then pray takbeera "Allahu Akbar" with hands raised to ears and stand up – do not continue into sajda – and start qira’at of second rak'at. After the qira’at, pray qunoot – raise your hands in front of your face and pray the gharan qunoot dua; la ilaha ilallahul hakimul kareem. La ilaha ilallahul aliyul a’zeem. Subhana rabbis samawaatis sabe’ wa ma fihinna wa ma bainahunna wa rabbil ardeenas sabe’ wa ma fihinna wa ma bainahunna wa rabbil arshil azeem. Walhamdolillahe rabbil a’lameen. Allahumma salle a’laa mohammedin wa a’laa aale mohammedin wasabbit qalbi alaa deeneka wa deene nabiyeka. Wa la tozigh qalbi ba’da iz hadaitani. Wa habli min ladunka rahmatan innaka antal wahhaab. Allahummaj a’lni mimman khalaqtahu lejannateka wakhtartahu ledeeneka watub alaiyya innaka antat tawa’abur raheem. Wa salle a’laa mohammedin wa a’laa aale mohammedin kama anta ahlohu wahom beka ahlohu salawatoka a’laihim ajmaee’n. if you don't remember this doa, you can pray the doa that is prayed in the qunoot of fajr namaaz. Then pray takbeera and go into the second ruku'.
- After ruku’, again stand for 3rd raka'at without going into sajda. After qira’at, perform ruku' and again stand up for the 4th rak'at; After qira’at again pray qunoot. Then perform ruku', then stand up for the 5th rak'at. After the qira’at and ruku' of the 5th rak'at, pray “sameallahu leman hameda rabbana lakal hamd, allahu akbar …” and continue into sajda, 2 sajdas with sitting for a brief period in between as we do in all namaaz. Sajda should also be long with tasbeeh prayed many times, like the ruku’.
- After two Sajda-s, stand up (no tashahhud) and repeat the amal of the first five raka'ats. Qunoot should be in 6th, 8th and 10th rak'ats. After the 10th rak'at, continue after ruku’ into 2 sajdas, then sit and pray long tashahhud followed by salaam.
- If Gharan namaaz gets over and the eclipse is yet ongoing, remain on the masallah and read Quran, duas, or do tasbeeh and dua.
- If you cannot pray Gharan namaaz, read Quran, duas, tasbeeh etc.. One should not eat or drink anything for the duration of the eclipse.
- Pregnant women should stay at home during eclipses, and avoid touching any metallic or sharp object.
What is the prescribed format to offer “sehew na sajda”?
- After completing namaaz i.e. after offering salaam at the end of the long tashahhud, one should say allaho akbar and give two sajdas as he does in any namaaz. Upon sitting up from the second sajda one should pray بسم الله وبالله اشهد ان لا اله الا الله وصل الله على محمد واله and then give salaam.
If an individual does a mistake in imamat namaaz, what should he do?
- The person does not need to offer “sehew na sajda” for the imam will bear his mistake.
If an individual prays the long tashahhud instead of the short tashahhud, and gives the salaam after just two rak’ats instead of four, what should he do?
- He should stand up and say the takbeeratul ehraam and pray the remaining rak’ats, and after giving salaam he should give “sehew na sajda”.
If an individual is not certain whether he has given the ruku’ or not, what should he do?
- If he has not already gone into sajda, he should give the ruku’ and continue the namaz, and pray the two “sehew na sajda” after completing the namaz. If he has already gone into sajda and then the doubt arises, as long as it is a doubt and not a certainty, he should continue the namaz, and pray the two sehew na sajda after completing the namaz. If he is certain he has missed a ruku’ he will have to pray the namaz again.
During namaaz if an individual is not certain whether he has prayed two rak’ats or four, what should he do?
- He should sit and pray the long tashahhud, and after giving the salaam he should stand up and say the takbeeratul ehraam and pray 2 rak’ats. He should pray only surat al-Hamd in both the two rak’ats. He should then offer “sehew na sajda”.
If an individual forgets to sit for the short tashahhud and stands up for the third rak’at, and before the ruku he realizes that he hasn’t prayed the short tashahhud, what should he do?
- He should sit down again for the short tashahhud and after completing the namaaz he should offer “sehew na sajda”.
If an individual is not sure whether he has prayed three rak’ats or four in a faraz with four rak’ats, what should he do?
- He should sit and pray the long tashahhud and do the salaam, then he should say the takbeeratul ehraam and pray two rak’ats sitting (as in the juloos namaz). After that he should give the “sehew na sajda”.
If an individual forgets to give takbeeratul ahraam before commencing the subsequent salaam in the sunnat namaaz, what should he do?
- His namaaz is considered as void. He should pray it again.
What is the niyyat for qazaa namaaz?
- The niyyat is as follows: اصلي فرض صلوة الظهر الفائتة اربع ركعات لله (substitute the name of the concerned faraz)
While praying namaaz should a person who is ill sit in the way one sits in the juloos namaaz or should he sit ‘comfortably’ (with legs folded to the side as in tashahhud)?
- He should sit in the way one sits in juloos for the qira’at, then while giving ruku he should sit ‘comfortably’ and bow/ bend his upper body for ruku, then give sajda normally. If he cannot sit in the juloos position, he can sit ‘comfortably’, or in the position he is able to.
What is the prescribed way for an individual who is ill to pray namaaz?
- If the illness is so severe that the individual cannot pray surat al-Hamd and another surat of 3 aayats, he should sit and pray namaaz. He should bow with his upper body for ruku’, and if he cannot do sajda he should bow lower than the bow for his ruku for sajda. If he cannot pray sitting, he should lie down on his right side and should face the qibla and pray namaaz. if he cannot lie down on his right side then he should lie down on his back and face the qibla and pray namaaz by ishara, by signs: raising the hands for takbeera if possible, and moving the head forward for ruku and sajda as possible.